RE: Meeting & Peloton Position
Hey loyal members- this thing is really shaping up; good work. In late October I aim to have something like this on our own site. One message board/blog for each category.
Like Carter recapped about last night's meeting- we both had some good progress on changes and ideas for 2007. I love the loose quality and friendliness of the club, now i'll just be working to strengthen the categories (Masters, 3, 4, U-23), and make communication easier between everyone. Also, I want to have a larger budget for the club. Money doesn't make the club go round, but finding a few good sponsors will just make it a little cheaper, more fun, and we'll have a few more toys for everyone to enjoy.
All of our product sponsors have offered renewals, so I'll be able to pick and choose from the best brands again. We'll probably keep most of what we have (especially the Trialtir brands), but possibly change to speedplay pedals, add Curve socks/ baselayers, and a couple other things.
-----------------Riding-Your-Bike-Info-------------------
So, about positioning- it is definitley an art which is learned. Out of ten riders on the pro team, only Nicky and Lisa have an unconcious ability to ride at the ffront all the time. They are very valuable because they unconciously end up in breaks when splits happen behind, and can give the team info on which teams are chasing, attacking, blocking etc. Now I know the 4's may not be that organized, but i'm illustrating a few advantages to being up front becides saving energy and staying out of wrecks.
Now, being at the front isn't a do or die thing, but overall it's the best practice. I've seen Greg Henderson (Health-Net) win many a crit and road race by tail gunning for the first third of a race, then winning a prime, then going to the back, then going back to the front when the lead-out starts. He can do that because the speed of the peloton is very constant back there, so it saves energy over the accelerations at the front.
This tail-gunning philosophy will not work well in the 4's because there will always be people cracking in front of you, but it might be ok in some 1/2/3 or Open fields. If you are going to ride at the back, only do it if you trust the riders in front of you and there is a cohesive field.
-----------------Riding-In-The-Front------------------
| Be the Bracket. You don't want to be the guy stuck on the front.
| You don't want to be the guy starting the double-file.
| You don't want to be all the way at the back with gaps opening
| in front of you or the guy in front of you. And you certainly
|| don't want to be the unlucky guy next to that sideways fred.
[] You do want to be around these brackets. There are always 3-6
||| guys in front whos wheels you can hop on. When attacks go you
||| can slowly accelerate, get on a wheel, and won't be at the back.
||| from near the front you can see what's going on and anticipate
|||\ the acceleration instead of using one of your matches.
|||
It's also not so easy. Being in "The bubble" (where the brackets are) is something that when you try and try race after race, will eventually click. You won't have to force it anymore.
How to do it:
When things are steady and you won't knock the wheel in front, tilt your head down so you can see under your armpits. Your periferal vision will pick up 1) the gap between your front wheel and who you're drafting. 2) Mo-fo's coming up on your right and left via shadows and sound.
Use #2 when attacks go, so you an anticipate when to accelerate yourself or jump on a responder's wheel. Use #1 to avoid destroying yourself.
The first third of the pack is also a good place to attack from. I usually try to jump off someone else who is going to the front. Overall, the key is to constantly look for free rides up to the front. Stay out of the middle because it takes a long time to get out with two guys on each side of you. You may not be thinking of going up at a particular instant, but if you are on the outside of the peloton and some guy comes by going not too much faster, then get on his wheel and go up further. Do it every time you can and you will stay up there and not be in the wind too much.
When you are on that free ride up, think about when to get off the train. you don't want to go all the way to the front if you won't pull because you slow everyone down and make attacks easier. Try to aim for the brackets, get your torso (or at least bars) ahead of the guy you want to be in front of and start moving in. A simple "Can I get in there" will sometimes do it. You could also look for a teamate's wheel and have him open a space for you.
That's all the ideas I have for now. If you read this whole thing you earn 15 snaps.
4 comments:
And so begins the task....
I'm done reading, How many snaps do I need to get a free framset?
I'd like the SpeedPlay sponsorship, I love thise pedals. Maybe Rol Wheels?
Can't wait for this year to end so I can relax and look forwar to next year. Unless you are Marty and have some sort of S&M ritual with a cross bike. Great comments on position Chris. Just stay away from Freds, I forgot about that one.
Now can we do something about the ACA claiming in the current (and prior) months Racing Express that we are an ACA club in Bad Standing? It kinda makes me think I'm running around with a bunch of Lawbreakers. I'd like to see them put something up on the website that say's they made a mistake.
Outstanding post for a new racer like me! Thanks for taking the time to post this Chris!!
Also, I'd like to echo Brians comments regarding the sponsorships. I'd like to see Speedplay and Rol wheels. I ride Rol's and am very happy with them. Also the owner, Sean Lambert, is an incredible guy to deal with. I also noticed that they are doing the neutral wheel support for the Parker Omnium...
Post a Comment