Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I need a little advice on what class to race in for the Parker Omnium. I'm a new racer - this is my first season and I've only tried Deer Trail where I got a DNF. I'm thinking of racing in 5 primarily so I can get some experience with racing tactics. I'm worried that if I race in 4 (which would be a much safer group, no doubt) I will get dropped within the first 10 miles and end up doing a time trial for the rest of the way. Brad - I see that you're the only one from the team who is currently registered for 5, why did you choose this over 4? I'm hoping that in the 5 group I can get with a bunch of riders who have some experience and get rid of the scary riders early. Can anybody give me some idea of what I should do?

3 comments:

Brian said...

I think Brad is going to try to switch to 4s. And as far as 4s being the safer group.... it's a toss up. If you climb well (short 8.5% and 9.5% grades after a few miles) and grit it out you won't be last in the 4s. In my opinion there are going to be a lot of riders off the back of the lead group after one lap you would not be alone. Are you only interested in the road race or omnium?

CT said...

In the road race the 5's are racing only 1 lap - 21 miles - not much racing really. The 4's go 2 laps - certainly the leaders will push the pace. Brian is right in that you wouldn't be alone.

Craig said...

I'm at least going to do the TT and Road Race. I went ahead and registered for the Omnium and decided to go with 5s. Since this will be my first multi-day race I figure that I'll keep the distance low on the Road Race with the hopes of feeling good enough to try the Crit. Thanks for helping me out.