Friday, September 01, 2006

PELETON POSITION

I would like to learn about methodology to place better in a race. As many of you know this is my first year of racing and I continue to feel frustrated with my position in the peleton, especially when there are 90 racers and the yellow line rule is in effect. Everyone says to move up near the front. Okay, I get it, but it's not that easy, is it? I'm still finding myself in the back. How do I maneuver through the peleton without causing a crash? When do I make the move to get near the front? Isn't everyone else trying to move to the front, too? How do guys like Larry, Brian and Todd (sorry if I missed any other studs) consistently get to the front? I know you all have big engines, but shouldn't I be able to get to a decent position for at least a portion of the race, and are the methods you employ the same for RR's and Crit's... anyway, do any of our team members have advice?

1 comment:

Smoke said...

Thanks, TR. I spoke with Brian and he echoed your thoughts. Staying up front is hard, but not as hard as staying in back... I need to keep alert and look for opportunities to move forward in the corners, on the straights, lulls in the action, etc. With more racing I think I will be more confidenct and relaxed. In the Longmont Crit I was really tense approaching every corner. With more racing maybe I can improve my bike handling skills, stay relaxed, and look for all the opportunities you were talking about.

Unfortunately, racing Crits more often may not be something I will be doing. My wife was really worried about me not to mention the cost of a new frame (Probably more cost than injury). She agreed to a new frame only if I promised not to Crit race :( . I don't think I can change her mind for this year, but I'll try and persuade her for next year.

Are you racing Gore Pass or Swanky's Crit?